202. Guest
203. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,888

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Planning for Riccia Carpet - (Riccia Added) Pic Attached
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Planning for Riccia Carpet - (Riccia Added) Pic Attached
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seetharam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:39 am Post subject: Planning for Riccia Carpet - (Riccia Added) Pic Attached Reply with quote

Hey  Guys

Im  planning  to  grow  a  Riccia  carpet  in  my  newly  planted  tank......I  have  4  Green  Coryadoras  in  the  tank  that  i  had  added  to  take  care  of  the  food  sinking  to  the  bottom.  Now  i  know  that  these  guys  are  aggressive  diggers.........would  keeping  them  in  any  way  affect  the  growing  of  the  carpet?

Link  to  check  out  my  tank

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9111

Last edited by Seetharam on Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
natbox
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:19 am Post subject: Re: Planning for Riccia Carpet - Suggestion Needed Reply with quote

cory's  and  carpets  dont  fit!  i  have  a  couple  of  cory's  in  my  tank  and  stirred  up  so  much  of  the  gravel  that  my  tank  was  murky  until  i  had  toset  up  a  new  filter.
 @riccia:Riccia  carpetsare  good  looking  but  you  have  the  perennial  problem  of  maintenance  and  with  riccia  it  ll  be  pretty  tough.cuba  or  dwarf  hairgrass  will  do  good  for  a  carpet  !my  advice  would  be  not  to  go  for  a  riccia  carpet!
 experts  please  advice  if  i  am  wrong!  Thumb Up
surya_niki
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:07 am Post subject: Re: Planning for Riccia Carpet - Suggestion Needed Reply with quote

The  problem  with  riccia  is  you  will  have  to  keep  triming  it  as  it  grows.  And  once  it  starts  floating  then  it  tends  to  clog  your  filters,  stop  light  fro  reaching  the  plants  below  and  the  worst  is  getting  rid  of  it  as  it  is  like  weed  in  aquariums.  Note  that  riccia  is  a  very  good  indicator  of  nitrates  in  the  tank.

If  you  have  low  light  requiring  plants  then  you  can  have  your  riccia  float.  I  have  seen  beautiful  floating  riccia  bed  at  Atanu's  place.  

My  suggestion  would  be,  instead  of  riccia  bed  you  could  try  pelia  bed  .  TThis  is  a  beautiful  weed  and  will  easily  sink.  IMO,  the  only  requirement  you  need  to  take  care  would  be  the  temperature.

Again,  as  mentioend  above  no  bed  will  survive  for  long  if  you  diggers  in  your  tank.  

regards,
 Surya
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:10 am Post subject: Re: Planning for Riccia Carpet - Suggestion Needed Reply with quote

Hi  Seetharam

Â Well  there  are  2  ways  of  doing  this  
 1.  Plant  riccia  directly  into  the  substrate,  then  later  keep  weighing  it  down  with  sand  as  it  grows
 2.  IMO  the  more  preffered  way  would  be  to  tie  riccia  to  stones,  using  a  hair  net  and  flat  stones,  and  arrange  them  close  to  each  other  this  way  once  the  riccia  starts  to  gorw  it  will  look  like  a  carpet  and  maintanance  will  be  a  lot  easier.  You  can  make  it  look  uneven  too...

I  have  attached  a  picture  to  illustrate  the  secound  method.

Regards
   Harshal
honey_moksh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:19 pm Post subject: Re: Planning for Riccia Carpet - Suggestion Needed Reply with quote

Hi

I  definitely  love  the  stone  idea  but  a  few  question  before  i  start  thing  on  this.:

1)  Whats  sort  of  lightning  does  riccia  need.

2)  and  temperature  requirement  as  it  gets  very  warm  in  the  summers  in  mumbai.

Thanks
 Harpreet.
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:25 pm Post subject: Re: Planning for Riccia Carpet - Suggestion Needed Reply with quote

Hi  Harpreet,

1.  Lamp  -  with  6500K  you  can  get  very  good  growth,  8000K  is  best.  
 2.  Best  under  27C,  28+  it  will  not  do  well  &  eventually  melt.

Must  have  -  CO2  (DIY,  not  recommended)  +  High  light,  ~4W/gallon.
Seetharam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:20 pm Post subject: Re: Planning for Riccia Carpet - Suggestion Needed Reply with quote

@Natbox  and  Surya  -  yes  i  agree  that  maintaining  Riccia  might  be  tough....but  have  been  always  dreaming  of  having  that  Amano  tank  look  for  quite  a  while  now,  hence  want  to  give  it  a  shot......can  definitely  make  time  for  a  weekly  trim   Very Happy  

@  Harshal  -  Planning  to  do  it  by  tying  the  Riccia  to  stones  to  give  a  layered  look.

From  the  inputs  above  and  after  doing  quite  a  lot  of  reading  up  on  Riccia  .......  looks  like  it  needs  very  high  light  requirements....i  have  2  T5  HO  24  Watts  each  (One  in  6500  K  and  the  other  in  8000  K)  would  this  be  enough???

Initially  i  used  to  have  2  CFL's  (15  Watts  Each)  in  this  setup......is  it  recommended  to  keep  the  CFL's  too  along  with  the  T5  HO's  to  increase  the  watts/gallon?
natbox
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:16 pm Post subject: Re: Planning for Riccia Carpet - Suggestion Needed Reply with quote

well  mine  grew  well  with  me  using  three  CFL  bulbs  and  a  philips  18w  tube  light!
 anyway  wish  you  success  on  your  endeavor  and  it  might  be  better  to  use  coconut  shells  than  stones  to  plant  riccia  !
 i  had  a  carpet  but  it  did  accumulate  of  lot  of  muck  underneath  it!but  one  hell  of  a  growing  plant  under  right  conditions(thanks  mr.venkat)!
 with  co2  excellent  growth  for  sure!  Thumb Up
natbox
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:19 pm Post subject: Re: Planning for Riccia Carpet - Suggestion Needed Reply with quote

Mr.deepak,my  riccia  did  grow  with  the  help  of  DIY  Co2  !
   Thumb Up  
 any  reason  as  to  why  no  DIY  co2  mr.deepak  Confused  do  you  think  mine  is  an  exception  rather  than  the  rule?  Smile
Seetharam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:38 pm Post subject: Re: Planning for Riccia Carpet - Suggestion Needed Reply with quote

I  do  have  a  DIY  Co2  running  in  my  current  setup.....so  i  guess  that  should  not  be  a  problem.
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:28 am Post subject: Re: Planning for Riccia Carpet - Suggestion Needed Reply with quote

Hi  Seetharam

Quote:                
From  the  inputs  above  and  after  doing  quite  a  lot  of  reading  up  on  Riccia  .......  looks  like  it  needs  very  high  light  requirements....i  have  2  T5  HO  24  Watts  each  (One  in  6500  K  and  the  other  in  8000  K)  would  this  be  enough                

If  you  are  able  to   place  the  riccia  directly  under  the  light  it  will  grow  may  be  a  bit  slower,  with  your  existing  lights.  CFL  is  something  I  personally  donot  prefer  as  the  efficency  of  these  lamps  is  very  low  as  compared  to  other  options  also  they  tend  to  heat  up  a  lot  more.

Regards
   Harshal
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:45 am Post subject: Re: Planning for Riccia Carpet - Suggestion Needed Reply with quote

natbox  wrote  (View  Post):                
Mr.deepak,my  riccia  did  grow  with  the  help  of  DIY  Co2  !  Thumb Up  
 any  reason  as  to  why  no  DIY  co2  mr.deepak  Confused  do  you  think  mine  is  an  exception  rather  than  the  rule?  Smile                

I  say  not  'recommended',  as  the  concoction  cannot  give  a  steady  supply  throughout  its  life  span  of  ~15  days  or  even  on  a  given  day.  Exceptions  are  always  there  Smile
 CO2  generation  also  depends  on  lot  of  other  factors  â€“  please  search  the  forum  to  get  more  info.
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:52 am Post subject: Re: Planning for Riccia Carpet - Suggestion Needed Reply with quote

Hi  Seetharam,

Riccia  is  a  very  beautiful  plant  I  agree.  But  it  is  also  a  high  maintenance  plant.  If  you  do  not  trim  it  regularly  It  will  start  free  floating  and  clog  your  filter.  Secondly  muck  will  accumulate  below  the  carpet  and  it  will  crash  your  tank.  

So  I  sincerely  suggest  you  do  what  Harshal  has  suggested,  and  use  it  to  cover  a  few  bare  spaces  and  not  the  total  bottom  of  your  tank.

Riccia  can  be  grown  with  DIY  CO2.  I  think  Deepak  is  suggesting  against  it  due  to  its  inconsistency  than  any  thing  else.  

Regards,
 Nayak.
Seetharam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:27 pm Post subject: Re: Planning for Riccia Carpet - Suggestion Needed Reply with quote

Hey  Nayak  -  Will  be  doing  it  as  Harshal  suggested........Will  be  tying  the  riccia  to  Flat  rocks  and  place  them  at  different  levels  to  give  a  platform  look.
honey_moksh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:25 am Post subject: Re: Planning for Riccia Carpet - Suggestion Needed Reply with quote

What  do  you  guys  feel  is  most  easiest  carpet  to  maintain  and  can  go  with  say  around  2.5W/Gallon  &  DIY  Co2.

Thanks

Edited:  and  most  important  with  30+  degrees  Mumbai  heat!!!!!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: