72. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,800

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Discus Pairing
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Discus Pairing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scsriram
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:52 pm Post subject: Discus Pairing Reply with quote

Hi,

I  need  some  info  on  Discus  pairing.  I  have  a  community  tank  of  only  discus  with  pairs  of  red  whites,golden  melons,  pigeons,blue  diamonds  &  snakeskin.

Since  last    week  I  have  placed  a  clay  tile  inside  the  tank  and  have  been  observing  some  activity  around  the  tile  with  atleast  1  pair(Blue  diamond  &  Pigeon)  showing  territorial  behaviour  and  not  allowing  the  others  near  the  tile.  Though  they  have  not  laid  eggs.  Do  I  allow  this  territorial  behaviour  in  the  community  tank  or  should  I  introduce  the  pair  in  a  separate  tank.  And  do  I  allow  the  blue  diamond  and  the  pigeon  to  pair  up.

Planning  to  surf  the  net  tonight  but  would  also  like  your  comments  and  suggestions  on  this  subject.

Sriram
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:42 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                

Do  I  allow  this  territorial  behaviour  in  the  community  tank  or  should  I  introduce  the  pair  in  a  separate  tank.  

Great!  But  wait  for  them  to  pair  out.  Moving  them  might  disturb  them.  Feed  heavily  with  blood  worms,  and  do  heavy  water  changes.  OBSERVE.  Thats  the  key  word.

The  presence  of  other  fish  speedens  the  pairing  out  process,  sometimes,  and  sometimes  not.

Once  they  are  clearly  a  PAIR,  you  may  either  move  them  to  a  tank  of  their  own,  or  move  the  other  fish  out.

Quote:                

And  do  I  allow  the  blue  diamond  and  the  pigeon  to  pair  up.  

Up  to  you.  frankly,  I  dont  really  like  cross  pairs.
Mumbai-discus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:55 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  go  with  nytyn  when  he  says  "But  wait  for  them  to  pair  out".  Cause  you  might  jus  end  up  moving  2  females.  It  happens  a  lot  of  times..  You  need  to  observe  the  fish  laying  and  fertilizing  the  eggs  before  u  can  be  sure  if  its  a  real  breeding  pair.  However  ..  Blood  worms...  HELL  NO!!!  I'd  rather  feed  them  their  normal  food  (guess  its  beefheart  u  r  feeding)..  feeding  bloodworms  definitely  increases  the  spawning  activity  but  its  also  DAMN  risky  and  i  would  not  risk  my  huge  discus  jus  to  see  some  babies  in  my  tanks..  I  have  bred  huge  spawns  of  300+  without  feeding  any  live  food.
 Afterall  its  all  upto  you..  IF  you  have  more  red  whites  like  4-6  ..  i'd  suggest  moving  them  all  in  a  separate  tank  so  that  they  form  a  pair  from  within  themseleves  and  you  can  develop  a  particular  strain..  cross-breeding  is  not  very  viable.....
 Regards.
 P.S.  Nytyn  jus  my  own  personal  opinion...  No  hard  feelings  OK??

Last edited by Mumbai-discus on Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
nag
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:06 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                
..  Blood  worms...  HELL  NO!!!                

I  think  Nitin  was  refering  to  Frozen  BWs  -  Hikari
 Sriram,  under  no  circumstances  feed  Live  Food!!

Happy  Pairing  and  Good  Luck    Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mumbai-discus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:04 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

i  hope  to  lord  that  he  meant  frozen  blood  worms..  but  in  my  opinion  even  tats  not  necessary..  beef  heard  does  wonders.
Mumbai-discus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:05 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

i  hope  to  lord  that  he  meant  frozen  blood  worms..  but  in  my  opinion  even  tats  not  necessary..  beef  heart  does  wonders.
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:50 am Post subject: Re: Discus Pairing Reply with quote

scsriram  wrote:                
And  do  I  allow  the  blue  diamond  and  the  pigeon  to  pair  up.                

In  the  commercial  sense  it  is  not  a  vey  good  crossing  as  the  pigeon  blood  gene  would  be  dominant  but  for  us  hobbyists  nothing  wrong  in  trying  Smile
nag
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:35 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Who  knows?  You  may  get  a  wonderful  strain...and  perhaps  could  name  it  on  YOU!!    Very Happy  

Bye,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mumbai-discus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:37 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  have  tried  crossing  a  nice  pegion  male  wit  a  female  throw  back  from  a  blu  diamond  spawn..  it  looks  like  a  cobalt...  i  got  aroud  180  babies...  all  pegions  but  the  peppering  was  disgusting....
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:03 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Cool  it  guys!  No  hard  feelings  LOL!

I  was  referring  to  Frozen  blood  worms.  Discus  seem  to  love  them,  and  instantly  get  horny    :lol:  !

Thats  why  I  said  that...

I  would  also  suggest  no  water  changes  for  a  week,  and  then  a  90  %  water  change.  Just  assuming  that  you  use  perfect  water  for  the  change.  You  could  also  try  doing  a  water  change  with  slightly  cooler  water[say  2  to  3  degrees  cooler].  

Please  understand  that  I  am  not  helping  you  get  them  spawn,  but  just  to  get  the  pairing  activity  accelerated.  Make  sure  theres  no  big  movement,  or  human  activity  near  the  tank.  You  will  surely  see  a  nice  pair  forming.

Again,  I  would  suggest  you  try  and  avoid  a  cross  pair.  The  results  could  be  really  great,  or  total  disaster!

TTFN!

Take  care!
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:20 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

nytyn  wrote:                

I  would  also  suggest  no  water  changes  for  a  week,  and  then  a  90  %  water  change.  Just  assuming  that  you  use  perfect  water  for  the  change.

I  would  not  go  for  a  90%  water  change  for  discus.    Making  90%  water  change  you  may  loose  90%  of  your  nitrobacter/nitrosoman  colony.    If  u  go  for  such  massive  water  changes  u  hv  to  rely  only  on  water  changes  as  your  biological  filtration  will  go  down.    I've  heard  many  breeders  do  a  100%  waterchange  everyday  for  baby  discus.

nytyn  wrote:                

I  would  suggest  you  try  and  avoid  a  cross  pair.  The  results  could  be  really  great,  or  total  disaster!

I'd  defenitely  go  with  nytyn  in  this  aspect.    Nature  is  highly  unpredictable.    As  a  result  either  u  may  get  an  out  of  the  world  discus  or  a  dull,  nasty  fish  that  may  not  look  like  either  of  the  parents.
 And  one  more  thing  is  pigeon  blood  and  blue  diamonds  themselves  are  extensively  line-bred/inbred  to  get  that  strain.    If  they  both  breed  offsprings  will  have  either  a  genetic  mutation  or  some  sort  of  deformity  as  these  discus  have  a  very  week  gene  pools.

If  at  all  u  want  to  breed  them  then  i'd  suggest  u  to  put  them  in  a  2  ft  long    bare  bottom  tank  and  a  sponge  filter  and  if  available,  a  breeding  cone.    Remember  your  new  tank  has  to  be  completely  cycled.
scsriram
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:06 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Madhu,

Thanks  for  the  input.  I  have  been  getting  suggestions  from  all  quarters.  Thanks  to  everyone.The  discus  are  a  year  old  and  maybe  need  another  3-6  months  for  them  to  mature  well.But  that  has  not  stopped  them  from  flirting  around  with  each  other  and  it  is  fun  watching  them  do  the  "dance".

I  have  2  18"x18"x18"  tanks  which  i  plan  to  use  if  they  need  more  "privacy".

Shall  keep  you  updated.

Sriram
scsriram
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:51 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi,

Pleased  to  inform  that  my  BD's  laid  around  70-80  eggs  yesterday  in  the  community  tank.  Though  there  are  other  discus  around,  they  do  not  seem  to  bother  the  eggs  on  the  tile.

The  BD  pair  are  going  along  with  their  job  of  fanning  and  cleaning  the  eggs.Looking  forward  to  see  the  fries  come  out.  Shall  keep  you  all  updated.

Sriram
Mumbai-discus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:38 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

well  congrats  on  the  pair  sriram...  keep  on  updating  what  happens  next!!
 I  think  in  the  night  they  will  be  eaten..  if  they  arent  you  are  tooo  lucky...  anyways  since  you  now  have  a  pair  set  up  a  breeding  tank  cause  they  will  need  shifting  soon!
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:50 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Many  Congrats  and  all  the  best  Smile
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: