205. Guest
206. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,800

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip...
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip...
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:11 pm Post subject: Re: All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip... Reply with quote

I  wish  I  could  be  there.   Crying or Very sad   Anyway.....  wish  you  all  the  best  for  the  trip.  

Rocky.....  drive  through  Bombay  Road  and  enter  into  West  Midnapur.  That  specific  time  of  the  year  all  the  waterbodies  will  be   full  with  natives.  If  you  will  go  for  over  night  trip  to  Midnapur,  let  me  know.  You  all  can  stay  at  my  house  there.   Thumb Up
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:28 pm Post subject: Re: All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip... Reply with quote

Yo  in  Sikkim,  BTW  I  have  trekked  to  the  Kanchendzonga  Base  camp  in  1986,  from  Pemyangtse,  so  I  know  the  roads,  you  better  take  a  4WD  if  you  want  to  do  some  serious  collecting.

Your  Innova  and  Qualis  will  leave  you  barely  spending  20  minutes  in  a  stream  given  the  heights  you  have  to  descend  and  climb  all  the  way  back.
amitava
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:31 pm Post subject: Re: All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip... Reply with quote

Hi,

Count  me   if  you  have  any  place  left.
banjohead
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:32 pm Post subject: Re: All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip... Reply with quote

The  route  will  be  Kolkata-Kalimpong-Jalpaiguri-Kolkata.
 We  still  have  to  figure  out  how  to  manage  the  timings  on  everything,  that  will  be  let  out  soon.
 We'll  take  an  overnight  train  from  Howrah  to  Siliguri,  bus  to  Kalimpong.  No  fancy  stuff.  The  other  forms  of  transport  will  be  threshed  out  later.

Taratalla?  Very  close  to  an  ex-house  of  ours  then.  Smile
banjohead
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:33 pm Post subject: Re: All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip... Reply with quote

Collecting  in  Sikkim  will  largely  be  done  on  foot.  Nothing  better  than  hiking.  We're  not  going  to  go  to  very  out  and  out  places,  so  no  worries.

I  have  a  lotta  known  people  in  Kalimpong,  we'll  get  a  lot  of  collecting  done  there.
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:39 pm Post subject: Re: All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip... Reply with quote

Quote:                
We'll  take  an  overnight  train  from  Howrah  to  Siliguri,  bus  to  Kalimpong.  No  fancy  stuff.  The  other  forms  of  transport  will  be  threshed  out  later.                  
Form  Howrah  to  Siliguri  and  from  Siliguri  to  Howrah,  Train  is  good.  But  from  there  we  must  choose  rented  car  to  carry  our  fish  stuffs.  The  main  big  thing  will  be  O2  filled  cylinder  to  carry  everywhere  if  we  dont  choose  private  rented  car  for  our  trip!

Just  think  about  it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
banjohead
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:45 pm Post subject: Re: All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip... Reply with quote

T2CHATTO  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  wish  I  could  be  there.   Crying or Very sad   Anyway.....  wish  you  all  the  best  for  the  trip.  

Rocky.....  drive  through  Bombay  Road  and  enter  into  West  Midnapur.  That  specific  time  of  the  year  all  the  waterbodies  will  be   full  with  natives.  If  you  will  go  for  over  night  trip  to  Midnapur,  let  me  know.  You  all  can  stay  at  my  house  there.   Thumb Up                

WB  will  be  threshed  out  later  as  well,  but  we'll  maybe  try  to  squeeze  in  more  time  up  in  the  hills  than  down  here.A  7  day  trip  means  one  day  at  each  stop,  and  as  it  is  we'll  lose  out  time  getting  there.
banjohead
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:47 pm Post subject: Re: All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip... Reply with quote

DJ_Rocky  wrote  (View  Post):                

Quote:                
Form  Howrah  to  Siliguri  and  from  Siliguri  to  Howrah,  Train  is  good.  But  from  there  we  must  choose  rented  car  to  carry  our  fish  stuffs.  The  main  big  thing  will  be  O2  filled  cylinder  to  carry  everywhere  if  we  dont  choose  private  rented  car  for  our  trip!

Just  think  about  it.                

Yes,  we'll  think  about  it.  Smile

Don't  fret,  we've  got  time,  things  will  work  out.  Meanwile  i'll  talk  it  over  nicely  with  Rahul  sometime  or  the  other.

People  are  free  to  post  suggestions.
deepesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:35 pm Post subject: Re: All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip... Reply with quote

Wait  for  the  rains  to  get  over.  September  should  be  ok.

And  try  arranging  a  night  outing  if  possible.  

Just  suggesting.  Just  jealous.
 deepesh

Leave  out  assam  for  later.  I  want  to  come  waaaaaaahh!!!!!!
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:52 pm Post subject: Re: All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip... Reply with quote

Rocky  O2  cylinder  is  not  very  important  if  you  can  change  water  2-4  times  a  day.  You  need  dedicated  people  doing  water  changes  without  fail.  Adip  and  beta  when  available  were  in  charge  of  water  changes  on  our  trips  and  in  their  absence  I  take  over  with  help  from  others.

My  O2  cylinder  is  60  cm  length  x  10  cm  dia.  I  had  to  search  a  lot  before  I  got  something  useful  for  collection  trips.  On  the  last  trip  the  regulator  went  kaput,  but  that  was  managed  as  I  handle  compressed  gases  for  a  living.

The  most  important  aspect  of  collecting  fish  is  water  changes  and  water  temperature.  We  Bangalore  guys  keep  our  car  A/C  and  engine  running  when  we  stop  at  each  point.  If  the  temperature  is  lower  then  you  will  not  have  to  run  the  A/C  in  the  car.  This  is  tough  with  a  hired  vehicle.

Carry  a  bucket  with  you  and  a  mug.  That's  important.

Howrah  -  Siliguri  by  train  If  I  remember  the  trouble  I  had  is  a  big  pain.  Things  don't  change  in  WB  fast  enough,  and  there  has  been  no  railway  minister  from  WB  since  the  time  I  left  WB,  so  things  will  still  be  stagnant.

Bus  is  better.

Carry  plastic  bags  3  x  12  inch  size.  Pack  one  fish  per  bag  with  little  water  and  lots  of  air  on  long  trips.  Bring  back  juveniles,  let  the  larger  fitter  ones  that  survived  in  the  wild  to  pass  on  their  genes  in  the  wild.  

Larger  the  fish  slimmer  the  chances  of  it  surviving  the  ordeal.  Larger  fish  excrete  a  lot  as  soon  as  they  are  caught  and  bagged  and  will  ruin  the  water  in  no  time  killing  themselves.

More  when  I  remember,  7  days  trip  has  my  BP  up  there!

At  last  the  Bhadralok  and  the  bhai  log  have  their  tails  up!
deepesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:25 pm Post subject: Re: All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip... Reply with quote

Quote:                

Howrah  -  Siliguri  by  train  If  I  remember  the  trouble  I  had  is  a  big  pain.                

Couple  of  trains  from  Howrah  to  Guwahati  make  good  time  up  to  New  Jalpaiguri.  One  of  them  makes  it  an  overnight  trip.

deepesh
scsriram
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:54 am Post subject: Re: All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip... Reply with quote

Trains  to  Siliguri  and  New  Jalpaiguri  used  to  move  out  of  Sealdah  station  20  years  back.Wonder  if  they  move  out  of  Howrah  now  ???

Sriram
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:12 am Post subject: Re: All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip... Reply with quote

Me  and  my  wife  are  surely  in............100%

Tirtha,  where  are  you?  Where  are  the  rest  of  the  Bong  Brigade?????  Cheering
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:14 pm Post subject: Re: All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip... Reply with quote

Well  folks,  this  is  not  intended  to  be  a  picnic  Wink  The  parts  I  hope  to  hit  will  involve  a  fair  amount  of  legwork.  No  oxygen  cylinders.  Mostly  catch,  photograph   and  release  (unless  you  want  to  hike  with  a  few  kilos  of  water  on  your  back),  only  bring  back  a  few  select  fish.

Like  I  said,  about  8  people  is  the  maximum  from  a  logistics  standpoint.  

Once  we  have  the  itinerary  worked  out,  the  plan  is  to  find  trains  that  will  get  us  as  close  to  our  destination(s)  as  possible  and  then  take  some  local  transport/walk  to  specific  points.  Hopefully,  we  can  find  locals  to  stay  with  and  show  us  around  at  each  place.

Pradeep,  we'll  keep  an  eye  out  for  barca,  although  the  focus  will  be  on  smaller  fish.

Like  Deepesh  and  Sriram  pointed  out,  we  have  multiple  options  from  Kolkata  as  far  as  trains  go,  which  is  a  good  thing.

Deepesh,  we'll  try  for  a  spot  of  night  collecting  if  everything  works  out  well.
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:21 pm Post subject: Re: All those Kolkata folks wishing for a collecting trip... Reply with quote

why  do  you  want  to  keep  the  team  to  8  only?  Wont  it  be  good  if  others  who  are  willing,  can  join?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Chit Chat All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: