37. Guest
38. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 28,891

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Complete Co2 system at a steal price!!!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Complete Co2 system at a steal price!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
honey_moksh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:36 am Post subject: Complete Co2 system at a steal price!!! Reply with quote

Hi  Folks

Just  wanted  to  share,  Myself,  Anand  &  Arvind  Shetty  were  at  Chor  Baazar  to  pickup  some  liquid  cylinders  which  we  could  use  as  CO2  cylinders  for  our  tanks.  Attaching  s  few  pics  of  the  cylinder  what  I  picked  up  and  is  same  as  to  the  one  taken  by  Anand.

The  cylinders  were  bought  for  xxxx  each.  (I  think  it  should  be  okay  to  share  the  price,  if  not  mods  please  delete)

I  got  the  cylinder  checked  by  a  person  who  refills  Co2  (medical  grade)  and  to  what  I  have  been  told  that  its  been  a  very  cheap  deal  for  us,  he  think  the  cylinders  are  good  and  also  the  cylinder  valve  is  looking  good.  I  am  expecting  the  filled  cylinder  on  Monday  evening.

Few  pics  of  the  cylinder  what  I  picked  up

[img]http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/gallery2/v/User_Galleries/honey_moksh/Co2+Cylinders/DSC03805.JPG.html[/img]

[img]http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/gallery2/v/User_Galleries/honey_moksh/Co2+Cylinders/DSC03806.JPG.html[/img]

[img]http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/gallery2/v/User_Galleries/honey_moksh/Co2+Cylinders/DSC03807.JPG.html[/img]

[img]http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/gallery2/v/User_Galleries/honey_moksh/Co2+Cylinders/DSC03808.JPG.html[/img]

[img]http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/gallery2/v/User_Galleries/honey_moksh/Co2+Cylinders/DSC03811.JPG.html[/img]

[img]http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/gallery2/v/User_Galleries/honey_moksh/Co2+Cylinders/DSC03812.JPG.html[/img]

I  know  I  have  to  buy  a  regulator,  is  there  anything  else  that  you  would  to  pick  up  for  to  start  using  the  CO2  set.

Thanks
 Harpreet

Last edited by honey_moksh on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:23 am Post subject: Re: Co2 Cylinders Reply with quote

Fixed  up  the  URLs  for  you.

Apart  from  the  regulator,
 You  would  need  a  Needle  valve  for  finer  control  of  Co2  release.
 A  PU  tube  to  carry  the  Co2
 Connectors  to  connect  the  regulator  to  tub/tube  to  needle  valveve/Needle  valve  to  tube  again.
 The  number  of  connectors  may  vary  as  per  your  connection.

Check  out  yellow  pages  and  look  up  for  Welding  Suppliers  for  the  regulator  and  look  up  for  Pneumatic  Suppliers  for  the  Tube/Needle  Valve  and  connectors.

Over  above,  you  may  or  may  not  need  a  solenoid  valve.

Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:04 am Post subject: Re: Co2 Cylinders Reply with quote

The  CO2  cylinders  you  have  got  are  Fire  Extinguisher  cylinders.  These  have  an  internal  tube  from  the  valve  that  leads  right  to  the  bottom  of  the  cylinder.

This  tube  must  be  removed  before  you  use  them  for  aquariums.  It  might  have  been  removed  by  someone  previously,  but  you  need  to  double  check.

Getting  Liquid  CO2  into  your  regulator  is  bad  business  and  dangerous.

Take  this  small  precaution  and  everything  else  will  simply  fall  into  place.

Enjoy!
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:24 am Post subject: Re: Co2 Cylinders Reply with quote

Quote:                
Getting  Liquid  CO2  into  your  regulator  is  bad  business  and  dangerous.                
I  guess,  we  get  liquid  CO2  only  when  we  refill  the  CO2  tank.
 Could  you  please  explain  why  liquid  CO2  is  bad!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:30 am Post subject: Re: Co2 Cylinders Reply with quote

You  get  liquid  CO2  when  you  fill  the  cylinder  that  is  always  the  case.

But  what  passes  through  the  valve  into  your  regulator  is  the  gas  from  the  top  of  the  liquid.

Water  expands  to  1700  times  it's  volume  when  it  becomes  steam  at  atmospheric  pressure.

Do  you  want  to  guess  how  much  liquid  CO2  compressed  to  58  times  atmospheric  pressure  will  expand  when  it  comes  out  of  the  regulator  at  1-2  bar?

If  you  don't  want  to  guess,  do  a  google  and  do  the  calculations.

Lastly  and  more  importantly  Gas  Pressure  Regulators  are  designed  to  reduce  the  pressure  of  the  gas,  operate  with  gas  and  never  with  liquid.
honey_moksh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:55 pm Post subject: Re: Co2 Cylinders Reply with quote

Thank  you  Sir!!!

As  advised,  have  called  up  the  vendor  and  have  asked  him  to  remove  the  tube.

I  am  apying  around  Rs  120/-  per  KG  for  medical  grade  CO2.  I  feel  i  am  being  overcharged..  what  should  be  the  right  price..

The  address  of  the  place  where  the  CO2  cylinders  were  picked  up  wil  be  posted  by  Anand  (please  do  the  honours)  for  other  fellow  aquarists  :-)

And  to  summarise  all,  special  thanks  to  Arvind  Shetty  for  letting  us  know  about  the  place  which  saved  use  quite  some  amount  of  money!!!   Clapping   Clapping   Clapping  

Cheers!!!

Harpreet.
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:08 pm Post subject: Re: Co2 Cylinders Reply with quote

120  rs  a  kg  is  6  times  what  I  paid  when  I  refilled  my  tank  last  in  Pune.
 I  don't  know  whats  the  current  rate.I  am  told  that  there  is  a  shortage  for  the  gas  and  moreover  the  refilling  facility  has  shifted  out  of  pune  city  so  the  price  might  have  increased.
 But  120  is  quite  steep.
 why  dont  try  for  industrial  grade  Co2.  That  will  be  cheaper  I  guess.
 Is  the  Co2  refilling  guy  the  same  as  from  whom  you  bought  the  cylinder?
arvindshetty
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:00 pm Post subject: Re: Co2 Cylinders Reply with quote

is  there  any  safety  issues  concerned  with  these  cylinders?
 i  also  looking  for  refilling  but  all  are  quoting  rs  250-300  for  refilling  a  2  kgs  cylinder.
 also  hardly  any1  knows  how  to  remove  the   tube.

any  mumbai  guys  knows  a  place  for  refilling  co2  cylinders  ?
 no  welder  knows  what  is  carbon  di  oxide.they  just  know  oxygen

Very Happy
honey_moksh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:31 pm Post subject: Re: Co2 Cylinders Reply with quote

Thanks  Rohan!!!

Its  think  its  my  first  time,  am  happy  to  pay  that.  I  presume  it  will  last  atleast  3-4  months  during  which  I'll  search  for  a  cheaper  place...

Few  more  questions:
 1)  What  about  regulators,  the  guy  has  medical  regulators  which  were  priced  around  Rs  1600+  and  on  my  request  he  will  be  geting  a  few  cheaper  ones  which  should  be  around  Rs  800/-.

2)  Is  bubble  counter  necessary  I  can  always  DIY  it  right  usinga  small  transperant  bottle,  correct?

3)  Please  suggest  moe  some  good  reactors  (for  a  26G  tank).  I  intend  to  use  my  current  Boyu  200ltr/hr  power  head  for  some  time,  do  you  think  is  it  sufficient  or  reactors  would  always  be  a  better  choice...  Are  ceremic  diffisuers  good  enough...

Thank  you
 Harpreet.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:55 pm Post subject: Re: Co2 Cylinders Reply with quote

Well  CO2  Fire  Extinguishers  are  designed  differently  depending  on  where  it  is  made.

In  some  cylinders  the  tube  is  integral  with  the  Top  Valve  in  which  case  you  have  to  replace  the  entire  Top  Valve  assembly  to  one  without  a  tube.

The  second  is  the  easy  route,  simply  remove  the  tube  after  removing  the  valve,  fit  the  same  valve  back.
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:15 pm Post subject: Re: Co2 Cylinders Reply with quote

I'm  guessing  that  you  are  getting  your  CO2  filled  from  Metro  gas  at  Saki  Naka.  He  sells  regulators  for  appx.  1500/-  (Bright  brand).  I  dont  know  how  much  you  got  your  cylinders  for  but  you  can  get  reliable  ones  from  the  Metro  chap.  My  cousin  just  bought  one  a  couple  of  weeks  back  since  he  didn;t  want  to  wait  for  the  shipment  from  Delhi.

If  price  is   an  issue,  you  can  get  the  Eagle  regulators  shipped  from  the  manufacturer  in  Delhi.  It  cost  Rs.900  with  shipping  about  2  years  ago.  The  address  and  contact  number  are  in  one  of  my  posts  (search  for  eagle  on  IAH).

Other  pneumatic  stuff  you  should  be  able  to  get  at  any  Pneumatic/hydraulic  stores.  There  are  a  couple  on  the  road  leading  from  Mahakali  junction  going  up  to  MIDC.

Filling  my  4.5  kilo  cylinder  costs  me  about  300  bucks  with  him  (medical  grade  CO2)  but  I  find  it  safer  than  handing  it  over  to  a  welding  shop  for  filling  plus  I  find  the  convenience  of  an  instant  swap  better  than  handing  over  and  waiting  for  a  refill.  But  thats  just  my  opinion...

Bubble  counter  is  not  necessary  and  a  well  designed  DIY  powerhead  reactor  works  very  well...

Regards,
 Venkat
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:21 pm Post subject: Re: Co2 Cylinders Reply with quote

Food  grade  CO2  refill  charge  is  Rs.  27/-  per  liter  in  Calcutta.
 And  even  there  are  few  people  who  charge  Rs.  100-200  also!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
honey_moksh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:48 pm Post subject: Re: Co2 Cylinders Reply with quote

Hi

The  guy  I  am  going  to  is  on  the  back  side  of  InOrbit  mall,  Malad  (w).

He  is  actually  more  of  a  medical  supply  guy  (not  a  welding  guy),  so  i  have  no  option  but  to  go  for  a  medical  grade  gas..  although  I  have  asked  him  to  use  cheaper  gas  for  me  incase  he  can  get  a  little  lower  grade...  But  he  seems  to  be  little  worried  about  the  fishes  and  advised  me  to  go  with  medical  grade...

Venkat:  Thanks  for  your  input  on  the  regulators.  I'll  post  what  I  can  find  with  him...

Thank  you
 Harpreet.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:01 am Post subject: Re: Co2 Cylinders Reply with quote

Harpreet,

Welding  Grade  CO2  -  about  99%  pure
 Food  Grade  CO2  -  99.9  %  pure
 Medical  Grade  CO2  -  99.9%  pure  with  extra  care  in  storage  and  filling.

My  chap  either  fills  up  my  cylinder  with  Food  Grade  or  Medical  Grade  CO2.  Cost  Rs.  600  per  cylinder  weather  it  is  my  22  kg  cylinder  he  is  filling  up  or  my  9  kgs  cylinder  he  is  filling.  Nowadays  he  brings  his  truck  with  a  huge  storage  cylinder  home,  and  fills  my  cylinders  at  the  gate.  

Depending  on  what  grade  he  is  carrying  on  the  particular  day  I  get  Food  or  medical  grade.

During  Summers  price  of  CO2  escalates  as  demand  for  soft  drinks  and  beer  shoots.  It  goes  up  to  100  +  per  kg  in  Bangalore.  I  don't  know  how  Rocky  measures  CO2  in  liters.  Chuckle  

More  than  the  cost  of  CO2,  it's  the  labour  charges  that  are  high  along  with  transportation.
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:44 am Post subject: Re: Co2 Cylinders Reply with quote

Quote:                
Nowadays  he  brings  his  truck  with  a  huge  storage  cylinder  home,  and  fills  my  cylinders  at  the  gate.                  
Without  freezing?

Bangalore  people  are  lucky  in  every  terms.
 Here  in  Kolkata,  they  take  7-10  days  to  refill  the  full  cylinder  and  for  delivery  within  24  hrs,  you  get  only  75-80%  refill  cylinder!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: