188. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 796
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 796

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,834

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Changing substrate
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Changing substrate
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:44 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hmmmmm.........  yes  could  work....  but  I  still  feel  you  need  more  light  than  what's  available  in  the  shade.  Have  you  seen  or  heard  of  these  agricultural  farm  nets  -  Green  in  color  made  of  a  plasticky  material  -  a  canopy  of  this  draped  over  4  sticks  above  your  tubs  will  let  in  the  right  amount  of  light.

I  am  actually  supposed  to  write  an  article  where  in  this  would  be  explained  with  photos  (  actually  being  used  in  the  Largest  Aquatic  Plant  Farm  in  the  world  that  I  visted  this  time  )  but  something  or  the  other  keeps  popping  up  and  I  have  been  putting  it  off.
Dolphy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:19 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Very Happy  
 I  have  seen  those  green  nets,  and  shall  buy  it.  I  also  have  a  wire  mesh  made  exclusively  for  the  tub.  I  used  this  tub  for  one  of  my  goldfish  who  now  got  his  own  tank.

Please  do  write  that  article.  It  would  really  help.  I  am  trying  to  convince  my  folks  to  build  me  a  room  exclusively  for  my  fish.  At  that  time,  I  could  grow  all  my  plants  too  in  that  room..  lights,  CO2  and  all.  Very Happy  

I  guess  white/transparent  tubs  should  be  used,  right?  

Jenny
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:23 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Dolphy  wrote:                
Very Happy  

I  guess  white/transparent  tubs  should  be  used,  right?  

Jenny                

Nope  any  old  tub  will  do.  Plants  don't  care.  Cement  Tubs  too.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:26 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Dolphy  wrote:                
Very Happy  

I  am  trying  to  convince  my  folks  to  build  me  a  room  exclusively  for  my  fish.  At  that  time,  I  could  grow  all  my  plants  too  in  that  room..  lights,  CO2  and  all.  Very Happy  

Jenny                

Lights  ???  Cost  ???  Recurring  expenses  ????

Since  you  are  a  Biologist,  Albeit  Marine....  Thought  of  tissue  culture?
Dolphy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:38 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Botany  isn't  for  me.  My  field  of  specialization  is  Marine  microbiology.  I  am  not  good  with  plants...  am  better  with  fauna  though  (can  name  some,  draw  some  and  dissect  some  :lol:  ).

Madan  wrote:                

Nope  any  old  tub  will  do.  Plants  don't  care.  Cement  Tubs  too.                

I  was  thinking  along  the  lines  of  light  penetration.  Colored  containers  would  be  too  opaque,  and  wouldn't  allow  light  to  pass  through.

My  tub  is  orange  though.    Confused    Don't  know  if  the  color  of  the  tub  would  really  make  a  difference.

Jenny
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:04 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

You  are  not  going  to  invert  the  tub  are  you?  :lol:  

Lighting  from  the  top  is  the  only  one  that  helps.  The  sun  shines  from  above  us  right?  Even  at  dawn  and  dusk.
jaideep_ab
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:15 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Jenny,  
 I  have  a  couple  of  friends  in  bangalore  who  have  bought  the  round  cement  rings  used  as  garbage  bins  and  got  them  sealed  and  used  as  out  door  tanks  in  the  garden.  With  a  lot  of  aquatic  plants  in  them.  You  can  try  this  at  a  relatively  reasonable  cost.  As  long  as  the  rings  are  in  shade  there  is  no  algae  problems.  Once  you  get  direct  sunlight  hitting  the  tanks  thats  when  the  algae  problem  starts.  You  may  have  an  interesting  time  getting  them  upto  your  terrace  though.
 I  have  tried  the  same  thing  in  Dubai  with  a  plastic  tub  (200ltrs)  in  my  balcony  and  managed  it  for  over  a  year  including  the  summer  which  gets  very  hot  here.Water  temperatures  reach  35  -  38  degrees  through  the  day.  I  grew  some  amazon  swords,  cabomba,  valisneria  and  a  few  other  plants.  all  of  them  grow  well  but  the  water  changes  were  critical  to  keep  the  algae  out.  I  used  to  change  30%  of  the  water  twice  a  week  on  the  balcony  tank  as  against  once  a  week  on  the  indoor  tank.
 You  can  ask  me  any  more  questions  on  this  if  you  want  more  info,      
 Thanks
 Jai
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dolphy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:38 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Madan  wrote:                
You  are  not  going  to  invert  the  tub  are  you?  :lol:  

Guess  that  sounds  silly,  huh?  Razz    Comes  from  "overthinking"  :wink:  

Jai...  I  have  considered  cement  rings  (my  stairway  is  very  narrow),  and  it  is  a  very  great  hazard  setting  all  this  up  on  my  terrace.  My  parents  wouldn't  let  me  do  that.  Rolling Eyes  

However,  I  tried  terracotta  pots,  and  am  experimenting  with  one  right  now.  I  bought  a  huge  earthern  pot,  and  put  it  over  some  sand  bordered  by  bricks  to  prevent  it  from  wobbling.  I  first  put  in  some  lotus  bulbs,  and  watched  them  grow  for  a  week,  and  a  couple  of  moments  ago,  I  took  2  goldfish  and  put  them  into  the  pot  (along  with  half  the  water  they  were  in).  I  also  covered  the  mouth  of  the  pot  with  a  sieve,  to  prevent  eagles  from  making  a  snack  out  of  my  goldies.  

This  weekend,  I'll  take  my  tub  (40  litres)  up,  and  cover  it  with  the  agricultural  net  as  Madan  suggested.  Let's  see  how  it  goes.  

Very Happy  
 Jenny
Dolphy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:42 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Jai..  did  you  try  an  algae-eater?  I  plan  on  adding  an  algae-eater  (a  tiny  one)  and  a  single  guppy  to  control  the  mosquito  population.

Jenny
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:01 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=69&pos=0---
 Jenny,

That's  a  six  foot  aquarium  kept  outside  the  house.  
 There  is  no  place  inside.  :lol:  There  is  a  fishing  net  on  the  top  to  save  the  fishes  from  humans  and  birds  etc.

And  an  onion  plant  growing  out  of  a  plastic  chemical  can.  The  top  of  the  can  has  been  cut  off.

Last edited by trevor on Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dolphy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:05 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Wow  Trevor!

I  loved  it,  esp.  the  onion  plant!!  What  are  those  leaves  floating  on  the  surface  of  the  water?

Jenny
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:27 pm Post subject: Floating plants Reply with quote

Those  are  floating  plants-  A  bit  of  Azolla,  Lemna  minor(duck  weed)  and  Salvinia.  

The  floating  plants  normally  mulitply  rapidly  and  completely  cover  the  top  surface  area  of  the  open  water.

That  way  they  shade  the  area  below  and  stop  the  growth  of  algae.

A  good  natural  way  to  control  sunlight  penetration  in  outside  tanks.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:21 am Post subject: Re: Floating plants Reply with quote

trevor  wrote:                
Those  are  floating  plants-  A  bit  of  Azolla,  Lemna  minor(duck  weed)  and  Salvinia.  

The  floating  plants  normally  mulitply  rapidly  and  completely  cover  the  top  surface  area  of  the  open  water.

That  way  they  shade  the  area  below  and  stop  the  growth  of  algae.

A  good  natural  way  to  control  sunlight  penetration  in  outside  tanks.                

And  grow  no  other  plants.  These  will  practically  cut  out  all  the  light  to  the  other  plants  and  kill  them.  Make  sure  not  one  leaf  of  a  floating  plant  gets  into  your  tub.
jaideep_ab
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:29 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Jenny,  
 Sad  to  hear  that  the  cement  rings  is  not  an  option.  Have  you  seen  the  Light  blue  drums  used  to  transport  chemicals  ?  My  parents  had  two  of  those  to  store  water  (with  all  the  water  scarcity  in  Bangalore  when  we  were  kids)  I  managed  to  get  one  of  them  for  myself  i  think  its  about  250  litres  not  very  big  about  3  feet  tall.Cut  off  the  top  part  and  used  it  as  an  outdoor  tank  in  bangalore  for  about  4  years  and  managed  a  lot  of  plants  and  even  to  breed  goldfish  in  it.  Its  not  very  visually  appealing  like  a  tank  or  a  basin  but  serves  the  purpose  in  case  you  want  to  just  grow  plants  and  you  don't  have  to  worry  about  lighting  as  the  natural  light  is  enough.  You  can  add  any  light  above  it  later  to  view  it  after  dark.  Your  terracota  pot  idea  is  good  but  these  pots  tend  to  cool  the  water  a  lot  and  may  not  be  suitable  for  fish  during  bangalore  winters.  Also  the  level  of  evaporation  from  the  outside  surface  of  the  pot  is  quite  a  bit  so  don't  know  of  the  long  term  effects.

Had  3  year  old  goldfish,  a  lot  of  guppies  and  a  couple  of  algae  eaters  in  the  balcony  tank  in  dubai.  The  algae  eaters  unfortunately  eat  algae  only  when  they  are  small.  Have  6  adult  algae  eaters  in  my  main  tank  now  that  are  about  2  years  old  that  are  of  no  use.  

An  interesting  place  to  look  for  how  aquatic  plants  are  propogated  on  a  large  scale  is  www.tropica.com    i  found  this  site  pretty  informative.

Hope  this  helps,  all  the  best
 Jai
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dolphy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:40 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Jai,

I  do  have  that  blue  drum  that  you  speak  of,  but  it  holds  water  now  Very Happy  

I  put  in  the  goldfish  in  the  terracotta  pot  after  testing  the  water  temp  after  a  blistering  day  in  the  sun..  it  was  cold.

As  for  winter  getting  too  cold,  I  presumed  that  since  goldfish  are  coldwater  fishes,  they  would  thrive  outdoors.    Confused  I've  got  to  check  up  on  that.

All  my  algae  eaters  are  very  industrious,  and  clean  my  tanks  pretty  well.  They've  been  doing  a  great  job.  But,  I  have  heard  of  instances  where  algae  eaters  are  of  no  use  whatsoever.

Will  let  you  know  how  everything  goes.    Very Happy  

Jenny
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: