106. Guest
107. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,345

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - BEEF HEART MIX!!!!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

BEEF HEART MIX!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fish Food
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venket
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:49 pm Post subject: BEEF HEART MIX!!!! Reply with quote

Hello  Guys,

Here  is  the  Beef  Heart  Recepie  that  we  guys  at  chennai  hav  been  doing  for  the  last  6-8  years.  We  hav  had  good  fish  growth  and  health.

1KG  Beef  heart

6  Capsules  Spirulina,

2  Becosule  capsule  or  any  multi-vitamine  capsule  

1  Shellkal

Wheat  germ  4tbs

Tetra  Bits  2  tbs

Garlic  3  small  teeth.

Krill  (If  available)  4tbs.

Proceedure  to  mix:

Remove  fat  from  the  heart  completely  and  make  small  cubes  of  say  an  inch  in  size.  

Put  all  the  meds,  the  tetrabits,  Krill  and  dry  grind  to  make  a  seperate  mix.

Now  add  a  hanful  of  the  heart  cubes  to  the  blender  and  add  2  or  3  spoons  or  the  powder  to  this  with  half  a  tooth  of  the  garlic.  now  grind  it  for  about  5-  7  secs  till  u  make  a  coarse  paste.  Do  not  make  it  a  smooth  past  as  that  will  cloud  the  water.    

When  done  with  the  grinding  put  the  remaining  powder  in  the  mix  and  mix  it  well  with  it.  Now  take  plastic  bags  that  u  use  to  carry  your  fish  and  flaten  it  using  a  roti  roller  (  Beware  of  mom  when  u  do  that    Razz  ).  

Make  it  arround  8  mm  in  thickness  cos  that  will  be  the  easiest  size  to  break  the  needed  portions  out.  Thats  it,  your  beef  heart  mix  is  made.  Now  u  freeze  it  and  use  this  for  what  ever  fish  u  want  to.  I  feed  this  to  almost  all  my  fishes.

Now  for  more  details:

The  Spirulina  is  added  to  increase  beta  carotine.
 Becosule  is  for  general  Vitamine  balancing.
 Tetra  bits  is  for  additional  enrichment  for  the  fish.
 Shelkal  is  for  calcium  suppliment.
 Feeding  garlic  regularly  keeps  the  fish  away  from  any  paracites  in  the  intestine.
 Krill  is  added  for  pulp  suppliment.
 Wheat  germ  is  to  increase  male  fertility.

SO  thats  all  guys.  I  may  be  wrong  about  the  description  of  the  various  comodities  that  we  use.  If  so  please  let  me  know  and  more  suggestions  about    this  mix  will  help  to  get  better  quality  food  for  our  fish  in  future.

Regards

Venket
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:53 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Wheat  germ  is  a  great  source  of  "Vitamin  E  and  Folic  Acid".

I  have  seen  lot  of  people  using  carrots  in  their  mix  and  paprika(for  color)  think  its  the  same  as  the  capsicum.
 Anybody  tried  any  different  recipe  with  success.
scsriram
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:38 pm Post subject: BH Reply with quote

Venkat  &  Beta,

I  would  like  to  know  how  many  times  a  day  do  you  feed  BH  to  the  discus.  

Sriram
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:16 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Sriram,
 I  dont  feed  beefheart  unless  i'll  be  able  to  make  waterchanges  on  that  day.
 So  thats  probably  twice  or  thrice  a  week  when  i  can  manage  to  come  back  from  work  early.  
 The  other  days  i  feed  them  tetrabits  and  frozen  bloodworms.
 Unless  you  do  daily  waterchanges  like  Venket  I  think  its  difficult  to  maintain  water  quality  when  feeding  Beefheart.
venket
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:03 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  feed  my  discs  with  beef  heart  twice  daily,  water  changes  are  not  very  regular  these  days  as  I  go  for  classes  after  work  and  hav  other  comitments  too.  But  I  guess  water  changes  happen  atleast  once  in  2  or  3  days.

Regards

Vneket
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:47 pm Post subject: Beef Heart for the big boys Reply with quote

Hi,
                         I  clean  the  beef  heart  carefully  removing  all  viens,fat  and  skin.Then  i  make  it  into  chunks  and  cubes.This  all  goes  into  the  freezer.When  you  freeze  it  in  chunks  even  if  the  outside  turns  a  dark  colour  the  inside  retains  a  nice  fresh  pink  colour.  When  i  have  to  feed  the  fish  i  take  out  my  cutting  board  and  saw  knife.Then  i  cut  the  frozen  beef  heart  into  suitable  sizes  depending  on  the  size  and  hunger  of  the  fish.Its  easier  to  slice  the  beef  heart  when  its  frozen.I  stand  in  front  of  the  fish  tank  when  i  cut  and  the  excitement  the  fish  shows  is  a  clear  indication  of  how  much  they  will  eat.These  tanks  are  all  bare  bottom.Nothing  reaches  the  bottom  of  the  tank  and  that  is  why  their  is  no  need  of  a  water  change.This  is  how  i  feed  my  piranhas,red  devils,green  terrors,jewels  and  other  fish  with  big  mouths.
                                                                               For  the  smaller  fish  i  think  venket's  recipe  is  perfect.But  i'm  sure  the  fish  would  welcome  the  addition  of  prawns  and  some  more  greens  into  venket's  beef  heart  mix  for  a  change.
                                                                                             Regards
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:53 pm Post subject: Re: BEEF HEART MIX!!!! Reply with quote

Does  anyone  sell  premade  BeefHeart  mix?
 I  think  I  will  mess  up  my  kitchen  too  much....
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:04 pm Post subject: Re: BEEF HEART MIX!!!! Reply with quote

There  is  this  LFS  called  Living  Color  Aquarium  owned  by  Indrajit  Bansal  on  Satara  Road,Near  Bharati  Vidyapeeth.
 I  remember  hearing  it  somewhere  that  he  does  /  used  to  do.

Though  Hamza  prepares  it   on  his  own  ,  I  think  he  shud  know  better  than  me.
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:10 pm Post subject: Re: BEEF HEART MIX!!!! Reply with quote

Yup  i  prepare  my  own.Its  better  not  to  trust  these  lfs  guys.
 Just  take  any  one  basic  reciepe  and  you  can  add  or  remove  a  few  of  the  things  put  in..also  depends  on  which  fish  you  feeding..like  i  prepare  a  whole  different  mix  for  my  flower  horns  than  i  do  for  my  oscars  and  discus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:28 pm Post subject: Re: BEEF HEART MIX!!!! Reply with quote

Can  you  please  share  your  recpie.
 Now  you  become  a  pro...
 I  want  them  for  my  2  discus..
 Also  I  live  in  Koregaon  Park...
 Where  can  i  get  Beef  heart  here  I  have  no  clue...??
 As  I  am  new  to  Pune...
 Thanks...
Abhay_11
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:31 pm Post subject: Re: BEEF HEART MIX!!!! Reply with quote

Hi  Nanu,

Just  source  it  from  Hamza  -  and  he  doesn't  stay  too  far  away  from  you  -  problem  solved  Smile   -  I  am  sure  Hamza  won't  mind  helping  you  out.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:05 pm Post subject: Re: BEEF HEART MIX!!!! Reply with quote

Nanu,  better  still  why  not  assist  hamza  -  that  way  you  could  help  him  at  the  same  time  learn!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:23 pm Post subject: Re: BEEF HEART MIX!!!! Reply with quote

Hey  Hamaz,  
 you  reading...?  ;-)

Can  I  come  by  to  help  the  master  and  learn  from  the  master's  recpie...?

If  you  are  making  some  over  the  weekend  or  so...
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:55 pm Post subject: Re: BEEF HEART MIX!!!! Reply with quote

Quote:                
Can  I  come  by  to  help  the  master  and  learn  from  the  master's  recpie...?                  

Me  no  master  or  anything...i  still  cant  get  my  hungry  flower  horn  to  eat  it!
 Well  Nanu  like  i  said  u  go  to  shivaji  market  and  pick  up  a  single  heart  and  ask  him  to  take  out  all  the  fat  from  it..u  get  it  home  and  keep  it  in  the  sink  in  running  water.clean  it  well  and  remove  all  the  fat  (which  would  be  like  white  shreads)  from  it.then  u  either  get  a  kheema  machine  or  befriend  one  of  the  butchers  in  the  market  to  let  u  use  theirs  and  get  kheema  done..the  only  problem  is  that  their  machines  have  a  lot  of  stuff  in  it  in  any  case  and  all  your  cleaning  usually  goes  to  waste..a  staff  working  at  my  store  has  his  own  butcher  shop  so  he  makes  sure  the  machine  is  clean  when  i  give  him  the  beef.once  thats  back  i  clean  it  a  bit  again.then  i  add  a  couple  of  things  like  spirulina  powder,bcomplex  syrup,tetrabits,prawns  (mashed)
 and  then  make  packets  and  freeze..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:16 pm Post subject: Re: BEEF HEART MIX!!!! Reply with quote

Note  taken.
 But  I  dont  know  where  Shivaji  Market  is  :-)  Peter  too  told  me  the  same  thing  shop  no:  36  there...
 I  think  my  girlfriend  knows  the  place  so  I  will  ask  her  to  take  me  there  today  or  over  the  weekend  and  will  give  it  a  shot....
 Thanks  Hamaz.
   Smile
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fish Food All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: